Statement of Merit Criteria
Articling Student (Legal Excellence Program)
At the time of appointment candidates must have a law degree from a Canadian university. Alternately, the candidate must have a law degree from a university outside of Canada, together with a Certificate of Qualification issued by the National Committee on Accreditation.
Preference will be given to candidates who are not called to bar in any Canadian provinces.
- A general knowledge of law
- Oral Communication:
- Presents and discusses legal concepts and issues in a clear, concise and effective manner orally.
- Written Communication:
- Presents and discusses concepts in a clear, concise and effective manner in writing.
- Thinking Skills:
- Able to analyze problems and situations, drawing logical conclusions and identifying viable solutions
- Demonstrates sound judgment when analyzing problems or situations
- Interpersonal relationships:
- Interacts with others in ways that advance the work of the group by developing respect, mutual understanding and productive working relationships. Maintains effectiveness and composure in stressful contexts
- A willingness and ability to work effectively as part of a team to contribute to the achievement of group objectives, to build team spirit and a capacity to work with others toward a common goal.
- Takes action to influence events rather than passively accepting status quo. Undertakes and initiates change to improve an existing situation without specific direction
- Solid academic standing in Law School
- Demonstrated interest in public law
- Demonstrated interest in litigation
- Experience working in a public law setting
The Department of Justice is committed to maintaining a representative workforce reflective of Canadian society. In support of achieving a diversified workforce and our employment equity goals, qualified candidates who self-declare in a staffing process as members of Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and/or women may be selected for appointment to fulfill organizational needs.
Condition of Employment:
- Date modified: