Inventory of Government-Based Family Justice Services

Office of the Childrens Lawyer (Prince Edward Island)

Prince Edward Island

Type of service
Services for Children

Services offered
The Office of the Children’s Lawyer (“OCL”) is a government program that helps children whose parents or family members cannot agree on custody and access arrangements for their children. The OCL may provide the following services in a custody/access matter:

  • a lawyer to represent the child;
  • a clinician (social worker from the Family Court Counsellor’s Office) to meet with the family and write a report for the court; or
  • both a lawyer and clinician.

Pilot or ongoing service
Ongoing service

Department responsible
Department of Justice and Public Safety, Family Law Section, Office of the Children’s Lawyer.

How to access this service
The OCL may become involved in your custody and access case in one of three ways:

  1. If your case is before the court, the judge can make an order requesting that the OCL become involved (however, the OCL does not have to accept the case). You can ask the judge to make this order; or, if you have a lawyer, talk to your lawyer about this.
  2. A parent or other person (family member, service provider, etc) can make a referral to the Office of the Children’s Lawyer, asking them to become involved in a custody/access dispute;
  3. The Office of the Children’s Lawyer can intervene (become involved) in a custody/access dispute on their own.
The Office of the Children’s Lawyer does not have to accept any case that is referred to it.

[ Service(s) offered ]


No charge

Governing legislation/legislative authority
Judicature Act, R.S.P.E.I. 1988, Cap. J.1

Contact person(s)
Catherine Chaisson, Q.C.
Office of the Children’s Lawyer
Honourable C.R. McQuaid Family Law Centre
1 Harbourside Access Road, P.O. Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Telephone: 902-368-4631
Fax: 902-368-6934

Date modified: