Access to Justice for Deaf Persons in Nunavut: Focus on Signed Languages
2. CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECT: SIGNING SYSTEMS IN NUNAVUT
The current project was undertaken to explore the issue of access to the justice system for deaf persons in Nunavut particularly in the context of the signing systems currently in use. The specific objectives of the project were as follows:
- to obtain a preliminary estimate of the number of deaf persons in Nunavut;
- to determine selected demographic characteristics of deaf persons who may use an indigenous form of sign language;
- to provide a preliminary examination of the indigenous signing system(s) that may be currently in use by deaf persons in Nunavut; and
- to examine the indigenous signing system in the context of access to the courts and the justice system.
- Date modified: