The Naskapi Nation of Kawawachikamach has entered into a contribution agreement with the Department of Justice Canada to manage the Community-based Justice Program. The goals of the Naskapi Justice Healing Program (NJHP) are:
- To deal with conflicts and crimes using approaches, which put emphasis on healing individuals, families and the community, and which deal with the underlying causes of problems in the community rather than just the symptoms;
- To better answer to the needs of Naskapi offenders, victims and families;
- To reinforce the role of community members in the administration of justice;
- To encourage a social reaction to crime and conflicts that favors communication, accountability, reparation, restoring balance and reestablishment of relations among affected individuals; and
- To restore harmony in the community.