Fact Sheet: Timekeeping during COVID-19
The following guidance for timekeepers during the COVID-19 pandemic applies as of March 13, 2020, until further notice.
Senior management recognizes that, under the current circumstances, the 1400-hour standard will not be possible for many legal professionals. Please be assured that this standard is not applicable during the pandemic, and it will not be used as a performance management resource.
Recording Time in LEX/iCase
In light of improvements to network performance, timekeepers can now enter and track their time for all work completed as per their usual practices, or as directed by their manager.
During peak hours (9:30 to 4:30 EDT), employees are encouraged to use the network conscientiously. Please follow these tips:
- Log on once a day to upload documents in LEX/iCase.
- Avoid uploading or downloading very large files during peak hours.
- Disconnect from the Virtual Private Network (click Disconnect in the Cisco AnyConnect dialogue box) whenever you are not actively working.
- Save documents locally and upload them only when complete.
- Follow the Department’s guidance on network best practices.
When on leave, you should not record any time in LEX/iCase.
Year-End Timekeeping Exercise
Timekeeping and any correction to time entries for work performed before end-of-business March 31, 2020, should be finalized and entered in LEX/iCase no later than April 14, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. EDT for all client departments identified on the list below .
For all other clients, timekeeping timeframes will be determined and communicated at a later date. If timekeepers have any questions concerning the applicable timeline for some files, they are invited to discuss immediately with their managers to determine the best approach.
New Code in LEX - Network Issues
If work is taking longer than expected because of network slowness or connectivity issues, timekeepers may enter this time on the legal file on which they are working using the new timekeeping activity Network Issues. For example, if work on a file takes three hours instead of one because of network performance, timekeepers may enter one hour in the client file and two hours under Network Issues. This activity is available as of March 13, 2020, on an interim basis during the COVID-19 period.
If you have any further questions or concerns about LEX/iCase, please contact the Legal Systems Division.
Client Departments for which timekeeping needs to be finalized before April 14, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. EDT
- Administrative Tribunals Support Service of Canada
- Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
- Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
- Canada School of Public Service
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
- Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety
- Canadian Dairy Commission
- Canadian Energy Regulator
- Canadian Grain Commission
- Canadian Heritage
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- Canadian Intellectual Property Office
- Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency
- Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
- Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission
- Canadian Space Agency
- Communications Security Establishment Canada
- Corporations Canada
- Defence Construction Canada
- Department for Women and Gender Equality
- Farm Products Council of Canada
- Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario
- Financial Consumer Agency of Canada
- Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada
- Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada
- Impact Assessment Agency of Canada
- Invest in Canada Hub
- Library and Archives of Canada
- National Capital Commission
- National Energy Board
- National Film Board
- National Research Council Canada
- Northern Pipeline Agency Canada
- Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy Canada
- Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions Canada
- Parole Board of Canada
- Passport Canada
- Patented Medicine Prices Review Board Canada
- Polar Knowledge Canada
- Prince Rupert Port Authority
- Privy Council Office
- Public Service Commission of Canada
- Science and Engineering Research Canada
- Shared Services Canada
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada
- Statistics Canada
- The Jacques-Cartier and Champlain Bridges Inc.
- The National Battlefields Commission
- Trade Law Bureau
- Vancouver Trade Law Bureau Fraser Port Authority
- Western Economic Diversification Canada
- Date modified: