Dispute Prevention and Resolution
Dispute Prevention and Resolution Activities
Dispute Prevention and Resolution is part of the Law Practice Management Division (LPMD). We are a leading centre of dispute prevention and resolution (DPR) excellence within the Government of Canada. Our role is to promote a greater understanding of DPR and, in collaboration with departmental legal services, to assist in the integration of DPR into the policies, operations and practices of departments and agencies of the Government of Canada.
Our activities include:
- Providing legal advice and information as well as practical guidance on any aspect of DPR to the Government of Canada, including advice on mediation or arbitral agreements, dispute resolution provisions in contracts, development of DPR programs and services, or any issues related to dispute resolution processes and techniques;
- Developing policies on the use of DPR processes to resolve disputes involving the Government of Canada;
- Conducting research and developing DPR resources for the Department of Justice;
- Providing the public with DPR reference documents; and,
- Developing and providing training to employees of Justice, client departments and agencies, including courses on legal risk management, negotiation, mediation and arbitration.
Please note that LPMD represents and works on behalf of the Department of Justice and the Government of Canada. This office cannot assist the public with personal disputes and we do not mediate in any private cases. Persons seeking dispute resolution assistance for disputes can frequently obtain help or referrals from non-profit organization directories, bar associations, and business organizations.
Department of Justice Policies
- Policy on Dispute Resolution (1996)
Treasury Board Policies
Dispute Resolution Resources
- Dispute Resolution Reference Guide (1995 as updated 2006)
- Dispute Resolution Clauses (2003)
- Resolving Disputes - Think About Your Options (1998)
- Informal Conflict Management Services Program Design (2007)
- DR Fund Evaluation (2004)
- DR Program Evaluation (2003)
- Public Works and Government Services Canada Conflict Management Program
- Australia Attorney-General's Department on Alternative Dispute Resolution
- British Columbia Ministry of Justice Dispute Resolution Office
- Non-Governmental Organizations
- International Organizations & Associations
The following is a list of not-for-profit organizations that offer third party neutral directories.
- ADR Institute of Canada
- Alberta Arbitration and Mediation Society
- Association for Conflict Resolution
- British Columbia International Commercial Arbitration Centre
- Mediate BC
- Canadian Foundation for Dispute Resolution
- Conflict Resolution Network Canada
- Family Mediation Canada
- Institut de médiation et d'arbitrage du Québec (French Only)
- Centre for Conflict Resolution Studies, University of Prince Edward Island
It is important to note that this is not a complete list and that these links are intended to assist you in locating relevant information on the Internet. The Department of Justice Canada cannot endorse individual organizations.
These sites are not obligated to provide content in both official languages under the Official Language Act. The material found is therefore in the language(s) used by the sites in question.
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: