Specialized services for Indigenous peoples

Family violence

If you or your children are experiencing abuse, you might need additional services to help with your situation.

Many provinces and territories offer family justice services that are specifically intended for families experiencing family violence.

On this page

Note that not all provinces and territories offer the same services.

Learn about specialized services for Indigenous peoples

Indigenous communities have specific approaches to resolve family conflicts, which take into consideration Indigenous traditions and the realities of living on reserve.

Some provinces and territories have developed and offer family justice services specifically for Indigenous peoples going through separation and divorce. These services can provide information in Indigenous languages, reflect Indigenous values, traditions and approaches, and take into consideration the realities of life on reserve.

Types of services

Indigenous parent education and information programs

Parent education and information programs are courses that provide general information. They may be run by lawyers, social workers or facilitators. These programs are designed to help you:

  • cope with the emotional effects of separation and divorce on you and your children;
  • deal with some of the challenges of parenting after divorce or separation;
  • learn techniques to communicate better with each other, resolve disputes and co-parent.

Indigenous courtwork program

Indigenous courtwork programs assist Indigenous adults and youth alleged to have committed a crime. Some also provide assistance for separating couples involved in family court, and for Indigenous families dealing with child welfare matters.

Family law can be complex. You may want to get advice regarding your situation from a family law legal adviser.

For more information on provincial and territorial services that provide legal advice, please see the “Services for assistance with court process” section.

A Legal adviser is a person who is qualified in a province to give legal advice to another person or represent them in court. This can be a lawyer, and in some provinces, may include other professionals.

Find the publicly funded family justice services available in your province or territory


British Columbia

Parenting After Separation for Indigenous families

To register to the online course.

Website: https://parenting-after-separation-indigenous.jibc.ca/register/


Indigenous Court Workers

Jason Fontaine
235-405 Broadway, Winnipeg, MB  R3C 3L6
Telephone:  204-945-6204
E-mail:  jason.fontaine@gov.mb.ca
Website:  https://www.gov.mb.ca/justice/courts/indigenouscourtworkers.html

New Brunswick

Newfoundland and Labrador

Northwest Territories

Nova Scotia



Prince Edward Island


For information on family justice services in Quebec

Website: www.justice.gouv.qc.ca/english/accueil.asp